Municipal Service & Volunteer Management: Mercer Island Youth & Family Services
Mercer Island Youth & Family Services (MIYFS), a department of the City of Mercer Island, provides family and community services and collaborates with others to develop and deliver services to the Mercer Island community. In addition to their many youth and family based services, they also provide employment and volunteer opportunities for local youth. Their youth volunteer program matches volunteer opportunities at non-profits with Mercer Island High School and Middle School students.
In preparation for the youth volunteer program scheduling a volunteer staff of over 300 students at projects with 70 different organizations, MIYFS had outgrown the manual and time-intensive process they had used for years. Prior to Shiftboard the process involved manually creating a calendar encompassing over 3,000 volunteer “projects” (4-8 hour shifts) for the upcoming summer, along with a description of each organization. Volunteer students would submit a prioritized list of the shifts they preferred. Compiling the project calendar required multiple iterations with schedules and volunteers, including creating waitlists for certain projects. The scheduling was a month-long process up front coupled with continuous iterations by phone and email all summer long.
To alleviate the logistical challenge posed by the process MIYFS required
the capability to:
- Submit over 3,000 project shifts to be filled by 300 volunteers
- Allow for online access 24x7 from anywhere
- Contact volunteers easily by email to confirm project details
- Allow all volunteers and coordinators to see an up-to-date schedule with available project openings
Solving the Problem with Shiftboard
Shiftboard provided hosted scheduling communication software for MIYFS that allowed them to better manage their projects and volunteers.
Branded with the look and feel of their organization, the system features include:
- Ability to upload thousands of projects on a single day where volunteers can quickly access and begin filling shifts
- Volunteer Program Coordinator has easy access to real-time staffing reports, filters, search tools, schedule reminders, and hours/projects filled for each individual
- A single-source for communicating to all volunteers with new projects, project details, reminders and updates